Thursday, 30 April 2015

Well, I Do Like Living Under Your Spotlight*

This week, I finally visited Spotlight.  I had been itching to go to Spotlight ever since they opened their first store in Ampang Point but it was just too far.  To my delight, Spotlight opened another store in Ikano Power Centre a few weeks ago.

Spotlight is an Australian fabric store.  They stock a wide range of fabrics, crafts and homewares.  I had been to Spotlight before in Sydney but that was mostly to buy thread to sew loose buttons back on.  Having visited fabric stores all my life, I was incredibly excited that Spotlight had landed in Malaysia to enhance the range of fabrics available in the country. 

After visiting Spotlight Malaysia, I have noted the following which I hope will be useful to those who haven’t been there yet. 
  •  Prices are not cheap.  However, there are very good offers for VIP Club members so anyone wanting to shop at Spotlight should sign up as a VIP Club member.  Membership is free and you can sign up on their website at www.spotlight.com.my.  
  • The choice can be overwhelming.  It would be good to study their catalogues on their websites to scope out the best deals before going to the store.
  • There is a range of sewing machines available.  Spotlight is probably the most accessible location for one to buy a sewing machine in Kuala Lumpur.  There is also a sewing machine station for you to look at the machines up close.  

Here are some photos that I took on the sly (I’m not sure if photographs are allowed).  I didn’t take any of the homewares (bedding, bath and body, kitchenwares etc.) or crafts because those aren’t the main draw in Spotlight for me.
Spotlight IPC

This is near the entrance of the store. 

woodland animals, elephant fabrics

dog, butterfly, campbell's soup fabric

Some printed fabrics.  I loved all the animal prints on the fabrics.  And check out the Campbell’s Soup fabric!  Perfect for sewing a pop art dress. 

embellished silk fabric

This embellished silk is so beautiful.

tulles and nets

Pretty tulles and nets! 

printed flannel

Spotlight carries a lot of flannel, which I personally love.  Look at the leopard print flannel!  Imagine making it into a blanket. 

spotlight quilting stand

If you’re into quilting, Spotlight is a great place to source for fabrics.  This is one of the stands in the quilting section. 

dr seuss fabric

Now onto the fun stuff.  Dr. Seuss fabrics!!!!!!!!!

Frozen and Peter Rabbit fabrics

Let it go!  Let it go!  Frozen and Peter Rabbit fabrics. 

The Very Hungry Caterpillar fabric
The Very Hungry Caterpillar fabrics

The Very Hungry Caterpillar fabrics!  I love, love, love The Very Hungry Caterpillar.  I read it when I was a child and drooled over all the yummy food that the Very Hungry Caterpillar ate on Saturday. I was amused that there was a fabric design with all those foods on it.

Hello Kitty Star Wars Wonder Woman fabrics

Little girls will be very happy to see so many Hello Kitty fabrics in Spotlight.  And little boys (and big boys) will be very happy to see the Star Wars fabrics.  And all the wonderful women will be glad to find Wonder Woman fabrics!  The fan boys will probably like them too.
  
I had a great time browsing all the fabrics at Spotlight.  They had home furnishing fabrics, which I didn’t take any pictures of.  Seeing all the lovely fabrics at Spotlight make me sorely regret not learning how to sew.  Sigh. 

Spotlight stores are located at:
  • Ampang Point Shopping Centre
  • Ikano Power Centre
  • The Mines Shopping Mall 


*The title is a play on Jennifer Hudson’s song, “Spotlight”. 


No comments:

Post a Comment