Tuesday, 16 June 2015

BeautyConsumer- Makeup Brushes, Lessons Learnt and Money Wasted – Part 1

When I first became obsessed with makeup, brushes were not on the top of my shopping list.  After some time, the “you are only as good as your tools” mantra preached by almost all the beauty blogs that I religiously devoured got stuck in my head and I began my quest for makeup brushes.  Being new to the game, I didn’t want to spend a lot of money on makeup brushes.  You’ll find out how well that went!  I am not a beauty expert but I hope that my layman opinions can help you save some money. 

I will cover face brushes in this post.  Smaller brushes will be covered in another post. 

sephora-elianto-elf-real-techniques-etudehouse-essence-brush
Face brushes, from left:
Sephora foundation brush
Elianto foundation brush
ELF complexion brush
Real Techniques expert face brush
Etude House dual fibre cheek glow brush
Essence angled blush brush
Sephora foundation brush

Price:  MYR28.50 (I bought this brush last year during Sephora’s National Day promotion of “buy 2 for MYR57”)
Comments:  No shedding or bleeding.  So far, so good! The handle is a bit long, though. 
Repurchase:  Yes, but I won’t be willing to spend more than MYR35 on it. 

Elianto foundation brush

Price:  MYR15 – MYR20
Comments:  No shedding or bleeding.  Its handle is shorter than the Sephora foundation brush so I usually pack it when I travel.  In my opinion, there isn’t a vast difference in performance between this brush and the Sephora brush.  Although the Elianto brush does seem to keep its shape less well than the Sephora one when applying foundation, it returns to shape easily enough.  
Repurchase:  Yes, as long as the price is less than MYR20. 

ELF complexion brush

Price:  USD3.50 (about MYR12 at the time)
Comments:  Very good for the price. Bristles shed a little but they don’t stick to your face. 
Repurchase:  Yes, if price is less than MYR30. 

Real Techniques expert face brush

Price:  This brush was a gift from a friend.  It retails at MYR78 at Shins but is currently on sale for MYR62.40. 
Comments:  This brush is recommended for blending cream or liquid foundations.  The brush is quite good and the bristles are dense although there were a few sticking out. 
Repurchase:  No, mostly because I prefer paddle-shaped foundation brushes.  However, if you can purchase it at the US retail price, I think it is definitely worth the money. 

etude-house-dual-fibre-cheek-glow-brush
Etude House dual fibre cheek glow brush

Etude House dual fibre cheek glow brush

Price:  MYR20 (Normally MYR39.90 but I bought two during Etude House’s “Buy 1, Free 1” promotion)
Comments:  I bought this brush after reading numerous raves on beauty blogs.  I was so sold on the glowing reviews that I even bought two.  I must say, I never knew I was so stupid.  Both the brushes felt unrefined, shed like crazy and the black dye bled non-stop!  I would use the brush and find bristles stuck to my face and black patches on my face!  After trying my best to make the brush work (I mean, so many people can’t be wrong, right?), I threw out the first brush in frustration.  I opened the second one and it was no different from the first.  I give up! 
Repurchase:  Never.  It is not worth keeping even if it is free

Essence angled blush brush

Price:  About MYR15
Comments:  This brush has hot pink bristles and a shorter handle, making it suitable for travel.  The bristles don’t shed or bleed and are adequately soft.  I feel that they could be denser but generally, I have no complaints. 
Repurchase:  Yes, but I won’t pay more than MYR15. 

In total, I have spent about MYR120 on the brushes above.  Some may not think that is not a lot of money but I would have still preferred to save the MYR40 on the awful Etude House brushes! 


Next:  Eyeshadow, concealer and eyeliner brushes.  

No comments:

Post a Comment