Wednesday, 17 June 2015

BeautyConsumer- Makeup Brushes, Lessons Learnt and Money Wasted – Part 2

Besides makeup brushes for the face, I also acquired too many eyeshadow brushes over time.  Some were good, some were not.  In hindsight, I think that some were unnecessary.  Here we go!

From left:
Etude House eye contour brush
Etude House oblique shadow brush
Sephora concealer brush
Manicare eyeshadow brush
Essence eyeshadow brush
Sasatinnie round eyeshadow brush
Etude House angled eyeliner brush
Heavy Rotation gel eyeliner brush
Etude House eye contour brush

Price:  MYR10 (Normal price was MYR19.90 but I bought it during a “Buy 1, Free 1” promotion.  I think prices may have increased since then). 
Comments:  Soft, fluffy bristles that do not shed or bleed.  No complaints here. 
Repurchase:  Yes, as long as the price is less than MYR20. 
Etude House oblique shadow brush

Price:  MYR10 (Normal price was MYR19.90 but I bought it during a “Buy 1, Free 1” promotion.  I think prices may have increased since then). 
Comments:  The oblique brush has soft bristles that do not shed or bleed.  No complaints although I don’t find it necessary to have both this brush and the eye contour brush. 
Repurchase:  Yes, as long as the price is less than MYR20. 

Sephora concealer brush

Price:  MYR28.50 (I bought this brush last year during Sephora’s National Day promotion of “buy 2 for MYR57”)
Comments:  The brush has firm but smooth bristles.  No shedding or bleeding.  The brush keeps its shape well.  The long handle makes it a bit difficult to pack for travel, though. 
Repurchase:  Yes, but I won’t be willing to spend more than MYR35 on it. 

Manicare eyeshadow brush

Price:  MYR5 from a thrift shop
Comments:  This is a nice, simple brush with soft bristles.  I use this brush most frequently among all my eyeshadow brushes. 
Repurchase:  Yes, as long as the price is less than MYR20. 

Essence eyeshadow brush

Price:  about MYR10
Comments:  This was a cheap eyeshadow brush and it showed in the rough bristles.  No shedding or bleeding but it is uncomfortable to use
Repurchase:  No

Sasatinnie round eyeshadow brush

Price:  about MYR15
Comments:  I don’t know why I bought this brush.  The handle is quite short, making it difficult to use.  The bristles are rough and uncomfortable.  I ended up using this to apply eyebrow powder as the firm bristles pick up and apply colour quite precisely. 
Repurchase:  No

Etude House angled eyeliner brush

etude-house-angled-eyeliner-brush
Etude House angled eyeliner brush - off with its head!
Price:  About MYR15.  I can’t remember the exact price. 
Comments:  When I was mad about gel eyeliner, I somehow thought that I needed to get an angled eyeliner brush.  So I bought this brush.  It’s a terrible brush and I could not make it work.  The bristles splay like crazy in the middle so it is quite hard to get a straight line.  Worse, the brush head detached from the handle after I used it a few times.  The bristles are flimsy so it is difficult to draw a proper line.  I wonder why I haven’t thrown this awful brush in the river yet. 
Repurchase:  Of course not.  It is not worth keeping even if it is free

Heavy Rotation gel eyeliner brush

Price:  none, comes with the gel eyeliner
Comments:  This gel eyeliner brush is the only memento from my gel eyeliner phase.  To be honest, I cannot remember if it came with the Kate, Maybelline or Heavy Rotation gel eyeliner!  With the lack of engravings or markings on the handle, my best guess is that it came with the Heavy Rotation gel eyeliner.  It is a really good gel eyeliner brush and enables me to draw straight or thick lines easily.  Never look down on a free gel eyeliner brush!  Actually, all the free gel eyeliner brushes from Kate and Maybelline were really good. 
Repurchase:  Yes, with the gel eyeliner. 
My makeup brushes regrets here cost me MYR50 in total.  My advice to those who are new to buying makeup brushes would be:
  • Don’t buy cheap brushes from Essence or SASA. 
  • Try to buy makeup brushes on sale.  Sephora is a good one to look out for. 
  • Etude House’s brushes are hit or miss so don’t ever pay full price for them.    
  • Surprisingly, Elianto brushes are not so bad but don’t spend too much money on them. 
  • The free brushes that come with gel eyeliner are quite good so don’t rush out to buy eyeliner brushes. 
  • It may be a good idea to buy Real Techniques or Ecotools brush sets to save time and money.  In fact, I’m now kicking myself for not doing this sooner, thinking that the sets were overpriced at Shins.  But hey, look at how much I wasted buying lousy brushes!  I could easily buy a basic set of makeup brushes with that money. 
Well, I hope that you have found these posts on makeup brushes useful.  Happy shopping!  

No comments:

Post a Comment