Monday, 8 June 2015

Royal Floria Putrajaya 2015

floria-putrajaya
Welcome to Floria 2015!
daffodil-orchids
Daffodil-like orchids
pale-pink-spotted-orchids
Pale pink orchids
It was a blisteringly hot afternoon when I visited the Royal Floria Putrajaya Festival last week.  Yes, it was my idea to go there at 2 p.m. when the sun is most vicious but the alternative was to risk a thunderstorm in the late afternoon.  Of course, as per Murphy’s Law, clear skies prevailed throughout the afternoon.

phalaenopsis-orchids
Phalaenopsis or moth orchids at the orchid competition


The first thing that struck me when I entered the grounds was not the breathtaking flowers but the hordes of people!  I didn’t know people were that into flowers!  The few gardens that greeted me were not very exciting – plenty of plants commonly used to beautify the roadsides or government buildings in the 1990’s.  There were long queues outside the Spring Garden and Winter Garden tents so I did not bother going there. 

small-light-purple-orchids
A winning orchid!
I ducked into an air-conditioned tent and found various orchids from the orchid competition inside.  I was mostly relieved to be safe from the sun’s wrath but the beauty of the orchids soon captured all of my attention. 

purple-orchids
Purple orchids (the moth orchids were not part of the competition)
yellow-orchids
Yellow orchids
The most common colours found were yellow and purple. 

red-orchids

There were very few red orchids. 

twisty-orchids
Now I want some Twisties...........
I don’t know what these orchids are called but they have twisty petals!

spotted-dual-tone-orchids
purple-dual-tone-orchids
Love these dual-tone purple orchids with stripes
Spotted/dappled orchids and dual-toned orchids could also be seen. 

white-purple-spotted-dappled-orchids

White and purple orchids appear to be quite common as well. 

yellow-orchid-ceiling
A golden ceiling made of orchids
There was also a sort of ceiling of yellow orchids.  Very beautiful and exotic!

white-orchids

white-orchids

Pure white orchids of many types were also shown at the orchid competition.  I have never seen some of them before. 

round-petal-orchids

delicate-white-orchid-cluster

There were some rather unique-looking orchids at the competition.  Look at the orchid with round petals!  I would hardly have pegged it as an orchid.  The white orchids in a cluster are ethereally pretty.

lilies

After depleting most of my camera’s battery life photographing the orchids, I headed next door to the rose and lily pavilion!  Unfortunately, most of the flora was wilting although they were placed in an air-conditioned tent.  However, the sweet, gentle fragrance of lilies still lingered around the tent. 

ecuador-roses-bicolour
I've never seen roses like these before!
ecuador-roses-red
Roses are red

ecuador-roses-white
Sometimes, roses are white

ecuador-roses-lilac-pink-cream
Look at the colours and how huge the roses are!
For the first time in my life, I saw Ecuadorian roses.  The blooms were so large that I could hardly believe my eyes!  Apparently, there is no importer in Malaysia yet for these impressive roses.  I hope it won’t be long before someone brings them in.  Just look at the beautiful colours!  You can see that some of them are starting to wilt, though. 

Kenya-roses-pink-white
Pink Kenyan roses with white swirls
kenya-roses-pink-lilac
More Kenyan roses for sale
I was hoping that the Ecuadorian roses would be available for sale.  Sadly, it was not the case.  The only cut roses being sold were Kenyan roses (MYR5 a stalk).  I was extremely tempted to buy some but my fellow flower show goers were getting unenthusiastically restless and wanted to leave.  Still, the roses were beautiful. 

lilies-floria-putrajaya
Lilies lined some of the paths
There were some designer gardens outside.  I didn’t think much of them so I didn’t take any photos.

putrajaya-lake-orchids

putrajaya-lake-weeping-willow-ducklings
I was so surprised to see ducklings!
However, there were lovely mini gardens facing the Putrajaya lake and bridge.

purple-yellow-orchids-wall
You'd never have thought that purple and yellow went so well together!
There was a beautiful wall of purple and yellow orchids too.


Pitcher plants hung from some giant trees, creating an atmosphere inspired by natural jungles.


I also walked to the China-Malaysia Friendship Garden but there were so many people there that I could not get a decent photo without other people in it.  It had plenty of water features, pavilions and lanterns.  On a quieter day, you might walk through it imagining that you were the young daughter of a rich Chinese nobleman who spends her days doing embroidering and learning calligraphy! 

flowers-poured-out-floria
The flowers look as if they had been poured out
flower-lightbulb-floria
A flower-shaped contraption made out of lightbulbs
For someone who has never planted anything in her life, I thoroughly enjoyed the flower show (yes, even with the heat!).  It was a pity that I could not get a good look at most of the flowers due to time constraints.  It would be best to visit when you are not in a hurry and can spend all day there.  I think the organisers should revise the opening hours due to our tropical climate.  I would love to go there early in the morning. 

hanging-flowers-putrajaya-bridge-lake
A beautiful, late afternoon view of the lake framed by hanging flowers
Strangely, I have now become enthralled with plants and flowers.  I am hoping to visit One Utama’s Secret Garden soon!  And maybe Floristika too.  

No comments:

Post a Comment