Monday, 13 July 2015

The Secret Garden, One Utama – Amazon Water Lilies

one-utama-secret-garden-water-lily
The pond housing the Amazon water lilies in The Secret Garden, One Utama
One summer afternoon, I took an elevator in a crowded shopping mall.  Up, up, up went the elevator to the rooftop.  When the doors opened, I walked into a secret garden.  Yes, a secret rooftop garden in one of the world’s largest shopping malls. 

Since I took so many photographs and cannot bring myself to edit them to fit into a single post, I shall do a series on The Secret Garden.  I spent close to three hours in the garden and I could easily spend more time there!  It was beautiful, green and amazing.  Now, I find myself longing to visit the garden instead of the shopping mall! 
amazon-water-lily
Amazon water lily in the afternoon
amazon-water-lily
Amazon water lily around 5 pm
amazon-water-lily
Amazon water lily at 6.30 pm
The Secret Garden is home to some Amazon water lilies.  I was mesmerised by the enormous lily pads, the spiny leaves and most of all, the ethereal beauty of the water lilies.  I can understand why Claude Monet was so taken by water lilies that he painted countless paintings of his own water lilies (yes, I love Monet).  The Amazon water lilies are pure white but turn into a dark pink colour after they are pollinated.  They also bloom at night only.  I was able to capture the various stages of the water lily blooming as I spent so much time at the garden.  Alas, when I was at the garden, there were only two water lilies in bloom. 

purple-water-lily
Purple water lilies
There were also some common purple water lilies at the garden.  They may be common but they are still lovely to look at and photograph. 

I hope you have enjoyed the photographs.  I am looking forward to visit the garden again.  It provides such wonderful sights and enjoyment for urbanites like me who are unable to have their own gardens. 

The Secret Garden is open to public on weekends and public holidays from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m.  Admission is free!  

More information is available on One Utama’s Facebook page here.  

No comments:

Post a Comment