Wednesday, 19 August 2015

Flower Power!

blue-floral-dress-crystal-sandals
F.O.S. blue floral dress
Principles at Debenhams crystal studded stacked sandals
I adore pretty flowers but turn them into prints on garments and I get slightly uncomfortable.  You see, although I admire feminine blooms, wearing clothing featuring said blooms is something quite difficult to me.  Somehow, I find that wearing florals instantly makes matronly (or "auntie").  Perhaps it is because I am Asian or have been scarred by certain Laura Ashley floral prints?  Don't get me wrong, I think that Laura Ashley makes beautiful floral prints.  I just don't know if they're suitable for wearing.  

After shying away from florals for years, I finally figured them out.  The trick is in the colours and the size and spacing of the prints.  The colours should be as harmonious as possible and the spacing of the prints should be in proportion to the size of the prints themselves.  It is hard to explain.  When in doubt, one should refer to to how designers do florals.  Some good examples are Dries Van Noten, and Dolce & Gabbana.  

The blue floral dress above is one of the few in my closet.  I purchased it for MYR50 at F.O.S. during a time when they had plenty of dresses.  I still love the colours on this dress and also the fact that it has pockets!  A lovely summer frock that can be worn the whole year round in tropical Malaysia.  

ruffled-floral-dress-ralph-lauren
Ralph Lauren blue label (kids ) ruffled floral dress
Star by Julien MacDonald at Debenhams purple snakeskin printed clutch
Fausto Zanetti nude kitten heels
I must own up to my mistakes here.  I loved this floaty, ruffled floral dress so much that I purchased it, ignoring the fact that it was for children, made from polyester and lined with acetate!  In my defense, it was Ralph Lauren blue label and on sale.  I really don't think that I should buy children's clothes again although I do own a few from Ralph Lauren's line for children.  The fit is often quite tight around the armpits.  

ruffled-floral-dress-ralph-lauren
Warehouse hat
Others as before
Now that I have figured out what I'm looking for in florals, I can't get enough of them!  Better late than never.................

No comments:

Post a Comment