Thursday, 29 October 2015

BeautyConsumer - Innisfree and Etude House Peel-Off Base Coats


When I buy nail polish, I gravitate towards glitters.  I mean, who doesn’t want to shine bright like a diamond?  Unfortunately, I find removing glitter nail polish to be quite difficult.  After years of rubbing mercilessly at my nails and using up copious amounts of nail polish remover, I discovered the foil method of removing glitter nail polish.  It was a vast improvement, but still rather inconvenient. 

One day, a friend gave me a peel-off base coat from Innisfree.  Apparently, these base coats allow you to simply peel off the layers of nail polish!  I was intrigued.  I also bought Etude House’s peel-off base coat during a “Buy 1 Free 1” offer.  After trying both base coats, I’ve come to the conclusion that something’s gotta give. 

Innisfree Peel-Off Base Coat


Appearance:  Milky in the bottle, dries to a clear finish
Drying time:  Reasonably short
Peeling ease:  Nail polish peeled off easily in one piece by simply pushing the edges of the polish using fingernails.  The polish came off in large, hard pieces

Etude House Peel-Off Base Coat


Appearance:  Clear in the bottle, dried to a clear finish
Drying time:  Seems to be slightly longer than the Innisfree one
Peeling ease:  Nail polish peeled off easily but the pieces were soft and broke up easily

Tips for using peel-off base coats

I found that my nail polish didn’t last as long when I used a peel-off base coat (around 2 days).  I had terrible results when I used the Etude House one with Catrice nail polish.  It just wouldn’t harden at all!  I thought that the base coat hadn’t fully dried before I applied the nail polish.  So, I decided to apply just the base coat and apply the nail polish after half a day.  The base coat completely peeled off in an hour. 
Peeling in progress - totally addictive
Eventually, after much trial and error and guessing, I came to the conclusion that peel-off base coats should be applied on relatively short nails.  Any pressure on the nail tips will cause the base coat to start peeling.  Sigh.  I tried applying both base coats on different hands and then applied two coats of OPI Pink, Yet Lavender nail polish and one coat of top coat.  There was no difference in the performance of both base coats. 

I don’t know if I will continue using peel-off base coats as they really do shorten the lifespan of my manicure.  Also, I have to keep my nails short to use them, which kind of defeats the purpose of doing a manicure.  Maybe I’ll go back to the foil method.  

No comments:

Post a Comment