Saturday, 16 January 2016

Wardrobe Aspirations for 2016

It’s been a late start to the year 2016 but better late than never, right?  I don’t usually make new year’s resolutions but I think I should make some, fashion-wise, of course.  However, I do love making wishlists.  I also do think that I should distinguish clearly between my wardrobe wants and needs.  So, here is my combined resolution/wishlist! 

Wardrobe Aspirations for 2016

Throw out old and worn out clothes without mercy

Clothes to be deleted soon
It has always been hard for me to cull my wardrobe mercilessly.  After reading about Marie Kondo’s method, I managed to dispose of some clothing.  I’m so proud of myself.  I even attached tags (okay, old red packets with cutouts) to the hangers of clothes that I am prepared to cull in the next year or so. 
Buy more casual tops
You would’ve thought it would be easy to acquire casual tops or even t-shirts.  I’m seeing a serious lack of both in my wardrobe.  The search is on.

Buy a pair of comfortable sneakers

Loved these pink Reeboks but they're gone *cries*
I haven’t bought a pair of sneakers/sports shoes in around ten years(!).  I wore an old pair of Sketchers on my recent trip to New Zealand and left parts of the sole behind in Rotorua and Auckland.  My previous pair of Nikes suffered the same fate when I wore them on a hike to FRIM (Forestry Research Institute Malaysia).  So yes, I am in dire need of some good and reasonably-priced sneakers. 

Buy a lightweight, waterproof parka with pockets and a hood

Parka from MNG
This isn’t exactly a necessity but my old parka is showing its age.  In cooler weather overseas, I prefer layering thin layers instead of wearing a heavy wool or down coat.  Anyway, I don’t travel much during winter so I don’t need a thick coat. 

No more buying duplicates of clothes

American Eagle Outfitters oriental print silk skirts
You know how fashion magazines always say to buy duplicates of clothes that fit you?  I’ve done that since I started shopping for myself.  Well, I still have unworn duplicates!  My record was buying four of the same printed silk skirt (two in blue and two in cream)!  In my defence, the skirts were only MYR7 each.  I will make some exceptions (e.g. heavily-discounted designer clothes or very cheap and good quality and wearable clothes) but I want to stop buying duplicates.  I have to keep reminding myself that I only have one body to dress!

Stop saving my nice clothes for that “special occasion” and just wear them.  
After all, every day is a special occasion.  So I will wear my sequin skirt to the supermarket if I want to. 

Designers/Brands that I would like to try in 2016
This is the fun part!  Dreaming always is.  Once upon a time, I dreamed of wearing Ralph Lauren so much.  A few years later, I happened to go to a Ralph Lauren warehouse clearance that was so good, I could afford to buy so many pieces.  I dreamed of Oscar de la Renta too, and that dream almost came true.  Anyway, I digress.

Alexander Wang
I could never see why Alexander Wang was heralded as the next great designer.  All his clothes seemed like t-shirts and sportswear to me.  And not even luxe sportswear.  Then he went to Balenciaga and I started to see a different side of him.  I read somewhere that the cut of his clothes are incredibly flattering so now I’m dying to buy some Wang (not at retail prices, of course). 

3.1 Philip Lim
I like Philip Lim’s designs.  Unfortunately, I haven’t been lucky enough to acquire any.  Perhaps this year shall be the year.

Vintage designs from Oscar de la Renta, Valentino, Chanel
My hunt continues.  After so many misses, I hope I will strike gold this year.

Alannah Hill
Australian designer Alannah Hill’s feminine yet quirky aesthetic appeals to me.  It could be all that brainwashing from when I lived in Australia.  I’d love to try some of her stuff soon. 

Dolce & Gabbana
This is a long shot because Domenico and Stefano’s clothes are way beyond my budget and I don’t think I could afford them even at 90% off. 

I think I better stop here.  I could go on forever.  What are your wardrobe plans, hopes and dreams for 2016?  Has the gloomy economic and political outlook affected your shopping mojo? 

Have a happy and fashionable 2016!

No comments:

Post a Comment