Monday, 31 October 2016

A Tale of Two Sequined Skirts

There was a point in my life when I loved sequined clothes, in particular, sequined skirts.  The sight of sequins winking seductively in the light filled my heart with longing to own those beautifully embellished garments. 
ralphlauren-gold-sequin-skirt
Raoul silk blouse
Ralph Lauren gold sequined skirt
Barachini gold sandals
That was how I ended up with two sequined skirts.  The first sequined skirt I had ever purchased was from Ralph Lauren.  I had found a whole bunch of silk skirts that were completely studded with bronze and gold sequins at a clearance event.  I almost squealed out loud when I found that the skirts were 90% off and I could get a further 30% off by purchasing at least 5 items.  So I paid around MYR200 for a skirt that was originally MYR2700.  At the cashier, an elderly lady looked at my purchases and said, “That’s a very nice skirt.  You can wear it to work.”  I don’t know what she assumed my job was.......

Ralph Lauren haul.  Why don't we get friends & family sales like this anymore???
A couple of years would pass before I actually wore the skirt.  It was so difficult to find a top that would match the skirt!  I never knew that sequined skirts would hug every lump and bump on your lower body.  I had to find a top that looked dressy enough to go with the skirt and was just long enough to cover my hips. 
ck-calvinklein-silver-sequin-skirt
Raoul silk blouse
CK Calvin Klein sequined skirt
Forever New silver handbag
Caparros silver heels
I finally found the right top in this red Raoul silk blouse.  The best part was that it only cost MYR30 at the FJ Benjamin warehouse sale.  It also goes with my second sequined skirt from CK Calvin Klein.  I fell in love with this skirt, silk, tulle, sequins and all.  It isn’t as heavy and clingy as the Ralph Lauren skirt.  Still, it isn’t a skirt that goes with everything. 


I’ve learnt my lesson about buying sequined clothes.  I still love them but I’d definitely be more cautious.  However, if you want a garment that attracts everyone’s attention and highlights every curve of your body, sequins are the way to go!  Another tip – if you ever find a silk blouse that resembles a t-shirt in any way, just buy it.  It will come in handy when you least expect it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment